UPDATE: I notice that Radio World has a little star rating system on their articles. According to the rating, twenty one people think I suck… That is okay, but when I started looking around at all of the other articles on the website, I noticed most have but one or two votes. It seems odd to me that my little opinion piece would have so many negative votes, especially in light of the e-mails, phone calls and personal interactions I have received supporting my position.
I am deeply immersed in all things networking, yet again. I regret the sparse posts, but there are a few things of note:
It appears the the WYFR shortwave site in Okeechobee has been sold to the operators of WRMI (Radio Miami International). This is a good turn of events for shortwave broadcasting. WRMI programmed mostly to the Caribbean and were difficult to hear in these parts.
Nielsen Radio, formerly Arbitron, says it will increase the sample size for the PPM program. This is good, larger sample size means better accuracy and fewer extrapolation related errors and strange rating spikes.
My apologies. As of late, there have been several service disruptions on this site. In speaking with my web host, they have identified the following issues:
On Thursday 4/11 and 4/18 between 6-10 am local time (1000-1400 UTC) the server that hosts engineeringradio.us was subjected to a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack, where approximately 200,000 login attempts were made per hour from 90,000 different IP addresses. This was part of a greater attack on WordPress websites.
On Wednesday 4/24 there was another DoS attack of a more limited and focused scale around 3-4 pm time frame
On Tuesday 4/30 beginning at 5 am, (0900 UTC) there was a server issue which returned an error 404 message to anyone trying access the web site. The .htaccess file was somehow corrupted, which later caused a error 500 message. This outage lasted until approximately 2 pm (1800 UTC) when the .htaccess file was reloaded.
I have taken several steps to secure the web server and web site against intrusions and other attacks. A distributed DoS attack is very hard to track and combat, the best course is to beef up security policies and weather the attacks when they come. I have contemplated moving this website to my own server, but that is more work than I have time for right now. Perhaps at some future point, if reliability continues to be an issue, I will do that.
Recently, a comment was placed on the blog regarding donation of used consoles. This comment generated a lot of interest. However, I attempted to contact the commenter using the email address supplied, which bounced back. I have since put the comment and all related comments into the moderation queue until I can contact the owner. If it turns out to be legitimate, I will put it back up.
Regarding commenting in general, I don’t mind people putting things up for donation or whatnot, but use a real email address when you do. Those that wish to contact you will do it off line. Once that person to person contact is established, I am out of the loop and not a part of any deals that develop as a result.
WordPress uses email addresses to establish commenting identity. All first time comments are placed in the moderation queue until I can look at it and approve it. All comments with links also get moderated. I do not do anything with the information collected by the blogging software, other than to occasionally squint at the email addresses of those comments in the moderation queue to establish identity. You can use a fake email address if you want, however, I often contact people off line if there are questions etc. Do not place your email address or phone number in the comment itself as you will be inundated with spam. When I see this, I remove the contact information before the comment is approved.
I am busy with school, hence the lack of new posts. I should be temporarily out of the woods after finals in the middle of December. There are many projects going on which would make interesting posts, I just do not have the time to do the subject matter justice.
There appears to be some issue with my version of WordPress, the server in use and the version of PHP. The ISP recently upgraded my sever and migrated my site over to a new unit, which was supposed to be transparent. Right. I am working with the ISP to resolve these issues as quickly as possible and return to my regular blogging.
In the mean time:
Update: All fixed, for now anyway. Something about a mismatched password in the backend. To all those that tried to comment, my apologies. It should all be working correctly now.