That is how long it has been since I started this blog. Six years and 727 posts later, I find myself wondering how much longer I can continue this. I have not been posting too much lately because I seem to have run out of things to say. Posting just for the sake of posting seems to dilute the good material with mediocre stuff that has to be deleted later.
The radio business has changed little in the last six years; fewer owners, AM is still plagued with technical issues and poor programming, the FM band is getting jam packed with translators and the occasional LPFM, HD Radio is, well HD Radio.
My situation changed as well with the change in jobs, a new degree, more family responsibilities, etc.
I was thinking about ways to make this more interesting and perhaps doing more with my under utilized youtube channel would be fun. I was called an “old timer” a few months ago as a compliment and I am not sure how I feel about that. After a bit of reflection, I realize there is some truth to it and there are fewer and fewer of us out there that can do what we do. Perhaps some informational things on how to trouble shoot and find problems, what a day in the life of a radio engineer is actually like, radio station people, etc. I know that good trouble shooting is an art form.
I would need a tripod and a better camera.
In the mean time, here are a few statistics from the last six years:
- I have typed a total of 812 posts, of which 727 are public and there are about 30 drafts on various subjects hanging out, waiting to be finished and posted. Out date material is usually deleted when I get around to it.
- The blog has a decent following, with an average of 700 page views a day, approximately 120 regular readers and 185 RSS subscribers.
- There are 3,494 comments and the spam filter has eliminate 1,102,631 useless, fake, ridiculous or otherwise stupid machine generated garbage.
- There is also an international readership, with approximately 40% of visitors coming from outside of the US. According to my flag counter, these are the countries that have not visited yet:
- British Indian Ocean Territory
- Central African Republic
- Christmas Island
- Norfolk Island
- North Korea
- Saint Barthelemy
Everyone else has made at least one appearance. I am a little bit disappointed that no one from North Korea has graced our presence.
- Top six non-US countries are Canada, UK, India, China, Germany and France.
- There are approximately 1,380 images of various interesting things. Most of them are my own, some are borrowed from other sites or the public domain.
I hope that I can continue this thing in some way or format. I have certainly enjoyed meeting many people, reading comments, replies, off line emails and such. It has been an overall positive experience and I value everyone’s input.